Science at St.Joseph The Worker
We have joined the SCIENCE STEM Hub!
Science Week is the second week in March!
At St. Joseph The worker we consider Science as a body of knowledge built up through experimental testing of ideas. Science is also methodology, a practical way of finding reliable answers to questions we may ask about the world around us. Science in our school is about developing children’s ideas and ways of working that enable them to make sense of the world in which they live through investigation, as well as using and applying process skills.
We believe that a broad and balanced science education is the entitlement of all children, regardless of ethnic origin, gender, class, aptitude or disability. Our aims in teaching science include the following.
- Preparing our children for life in an increasingly scientific and technological world.
- Fostering concern about, and active care for, our environment.
- Helping our children acquire a growing understanding of scientific ideas.
- Helping develop and extend our children’s scientific concept of their world.
- Developing our children’s understanding of the international and collaborative nature of science.
We endeavour to ensure our children develop positive attitudes; as such we:
- Encouraging the development of positive attitudes to scientific enquiry and methodolgy.
- Building on our children’s natural curiosity and developing a scientific approach to problems.
- Encouraging open-mindedness, self-assessment, perseverance and responsibility.
- Building our children’s self-confidence to enable them to work independently.
- Developing our children’s social skills to work cooperatively with others.
- Providing our children with an enjoyable experience of science, so that they will develop a deep and lasting interest and may be motivated to study science further.
Science Fair - Our school took part in the Great Science Share Day. All the children had a fantastic and exciting day learning about science facts through experiments. Our Reception class went on a minibeast hunt.