English is at the heart of all our work at St Josephs and we try to make literacy links in all of our subjects so that children are always using their reading, writing and understanding skills so that they keep improving them to be thest best they can!
It's an exciting time at St Joseph's as we have a new library,the children will be able to have access to some fantastic new books and a purpose built room where they can read, relax, learn and let their imagaination run wild. Taking them to new places like castles, dungeons, forests, planets, football pitches and beyond!!
Reading is the most crucial key to the English curriculum. We encourage that you and your child read at least 10 minutes every night. Whether you read to them, they read to you or you take it in turns, reading is the most important thing that you can do with your child.
Irlam library have los of books and information to help you if you need any help.
Here are some links you may find useful:
Here are some of the units of work we teach in the English curriculum.
- Early Years Foundation Stage: Focus on early reading & writing through stories
- Year 1: Labels & Captions, Traditional tales such as Rumplestilskin and Rhymes
- Year 2: Explanations, Reports and Traditional Tales such as Jack & the Beanstalk
- Year 3: Myths & Legends, Adventure & Mystery Stories and Information Reports
- Year 4: Newspapers & Magazines, Persuasive Writing and Stories from other cultures
- Year 5: Stories by a significant author, Recounts, Poetry & Film Literature
- Year 6: Extended Stories, Persuasive Writing, Genres of writing & Argumental pieces.