Mathematics Statement of Intent
At St Joseph the Worker Primary School we recognise that Mathematics is the foundation for understanding of God’s world and we want our children to know the purpose behind their learning and to apply their knowledge to their everyday lives. Our aim is to provide a high-quality child-centred mathematics education with a mastery approach so that children become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, reason mathematically and solve problems by applying their mathematics. We want our children to develop:
- a positive attitude towards mathematics and an awareness of the fascination of mathematics
- a culture of deep understanding, competence and confidence in mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills
- initiative and an ability to work both independently and in co-operation with others
- an ability to communicate mathematics
- an ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life
We believe that all children, when introduced to a new concept, should have the opportunity to build a competency by taking this approach:
- Concrete – children have the opportunity to use concrete objects and manipulatives to help them understand what they are doing.
- Pictorial – alongside this children should use pictorial representations. These representations can then be used to help reason and solve problems.
- Abstract – both concrete and pictorial representations should support children’s understanding of abstract methods.
We believe that when you teach for mastery, EVERYONE can do maths! We never accelerate through a topic but rather enable children to gain a clear, deep and broad understanding.
Our Maths scheme combines interactive teaching tools, high –quality textbooks, concrete resources and continuing CPD to help teachers equip children with a deep and long lasting understanding of Mathematics.